Sunday, August 25, 2013

a little tip

If you are like me and have a stockpile of scrapbooking "stuff" then you may want to use your stash wisely and hopefully this little trick will come in handy.

When purchasing chipboard letters I tended to buy either raw or black or white, but as with all things there are some things that catch your eye or are perfect for a particular layout and once done you are left with letters that you really can't use.

These are the letters that I used on the August layout "before":

 
While they are a cute font, perfect for the layout, the colours were not suitable, so I grabbed my Versamark ink pad, Tim Holtz Distressing Embossing powder and heat gun and away I went. These letters would have to be about 6 years old and the adhesive on the back was coming away, so I just stuck them down on a plain piece of paper and gave a wipe over with the ink. Then sprinkled liberally (ok I dumped a whole heap) of the powder on...
 
 
 
I tapped off the excess powder back into the tub and heated. Now to be honest I usually sand shiny letters before I do this, but forgot this time, so it took a second layer to get all the letters covered, but this was the end result...
 
 
 
Then I peeled off each letter (the backing with the old adhesive was left on the paper) and attached to the layout with some adhesive after giving a light sand to distress the letters. 
 
 
I hope this encourages you to look at some of your stash and give old bits & pieces a new lease on life.

1 comment:

  1. Cool.....I didn't think of changing colours...great idea. Debx

    ReplyDelete